Sunday, November 7, 2010

I obviously do not know the right people. - Psquared

Psquared wrote: 
http://market-ticker.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=171347
 
I may live in a particularly hard hit area, and my circumstances may be unique, but I have a college degree and a graduate degree and the only job I have been able to find over the last 9 months was a minimum wage job selling cars. I did it for 4 months and quit out of frustration at being yelled at, overworked and underpaid. (There were days when I did not talk to a single customer - can't stand down time like that.)

During the past 9 months I have applied for well over 200 jobs - both in person and online - and I have had 5 interviews. I have family and friends helping me through their business connections, I have registered with Temp Agencies all over town, I have been to head hunters (they all want $2500+ to help me find a job - money I don't have) and I have registered with the local University (where I graduated) and the local Tech School. I have also registered with Employment Security Commission's One Stop Job Agency.

In most cases I do not even get a notification as to whether the job I applied for has been filled. My impression is that for every job opening there are hundreds of applicants. I applied for state government job as an auditor and when I went for the interview I was told that over 600 people applied. (I was fortunate to get the interview.) This was basically a clerical position that started at $30,000 a year. Two years ago I made well into 6 figures.

What I have discovered in this job environment is that it is not what you know, but who you know. Jobs are going to next door neighbors, children, cousins and friends who lost their job and are about to lose their home.

I obviously do not know the right people.

No comments:

Post a Comment