Groupon cancels all gun-related deals after Sandy Hook shooting
Groupon said it is canceling all of its gun-related deals ... at least for now. (Seth Perlman / Associated Press / January 21, 2013)
Groupon Inc. is canceling all its firearm offers a month after the shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School last month in Connecticut.
“All scheduled and current gun-related deals featured on Groupon North America, including shooting ranges, conceal-and-carry and clay shooting, have been placed on hiatus while we review internal standards that shape the deal inventory we feature,” said spokeswoman Julie Mossler in an emailed statement Monday.
“The category is under review following recent consumer and merchant feedback," she wrote.
The Chicago company didn’t explain why it made its move or how long the shutdown would last.
Expired gun deals displayed on the site from last year have proved immensely popular. One bargain for up to 58% off a shooting range package in Atlanta was purchased by more than 1,000 people.
Groupon is far from the first company to back away from any dealings with weapons in the aftermath of the Connecticut tragedy.
Private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management said last month that it is selling its investment in Freedom Group, which produces the Bushmaster line of firearms. A Bushmaster rifle was used in the Dec. 14 attack.
Outdoor products retailer Cabela’s stopped offering the rifle at its Connecticut store. Dick’s Sporting Goods pulled modern sporting rifles from all its locations.