Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Albany Has Officially Lost Its Mind - Bicycle License Plates - NYS Politics

Albany Has Officially Lost Its Mind

Posted by tigmode • March 1, 2011 • 10:22 pm

Like many people, I am pretty jaded when it comes to Albany and those who purport to represent us.  As a general rule I am underwhelmed by all the nonsense that goes on there.   There’s far too much posturing, back door deal making and not nearly enough work being done on behalf of New Yorkers.
This week I thought it was a joke when I read that a state law requiring bicycles to be registered and have license plates is being proposed.  Surely, nothing that stupid would possibly be wasting the time, even in theory, of a group of lawmakers who have to try to save this bankrupt state from imploding.  Heaven knows there are real issues in the Empire State that need immediate and serious attention.
If it isn’t the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard–and I’ll confess, Al Gore’s claim to have invented the internet is my number one–it’s reeeeeaaaaaaallllly close.
It’s such an unashamed ploy to grab money from the populace.  There’s no way for Albany to spin this as anything but assinine.
Is somebody going to ticket my 5 year old for riding her plateless, unregistered, training wheeled pink Barbie bike in our driveway?  That will have to be the case because there is NO WAY I am paying $25 to get a license plate for a bike that gets ridden a couple months a year.  If my kids rides rode their bikes every single day I’d refuse to pay that.
While I was shaking my head over this, I asked myself if this sort of idiocy is what inspired our founding fathers to dress up and dump tea in Boston Harbor.
Albany—are you KIDDING???
*******************************************************************************
Rochester, N.Y. - As the owner of the Park Ave Bike Shop and an avid cyclist -- Andy August has never had a license plate on his bicycle. The idea, he says, doesn't make much sense.
"It just seems like extra regulation to maybe generate revenue," he said. "I don't think it's necessary."
But recently, New York Assemblyman Michael DenDekker introduced two pieces of legislation that would require all bicycles to be inspected and registered. Riders would pay a one-time cost of $25 for a license plate for their personal bikes, with a $5 renewal fee each year. Those who ride commercial bikes would pay $50, and would also have to buy insurance.
Part of the goal: to make sure cyclists obey the rules of the road.
"That's crazy," said Kenneth Carter, a truck driver who says he's never had problems with cyclists. "There's so many other things they could tax to get money for the state. I mean, are you going to give a little kid a ticket if he doesn't have a license on his bike?"
Andy August agrees. "I think it will be tough to implement," he said, although he admits there could be a positive side.
"It's about educating the public - both cyclists and drivers," he said. "If people were more informed about bikes on the road, and what you need to do to ride a bike safely, that could be a good thing."
Assemblyman DenDekker says these bills could bring in nearly $2 million the first year.

No comments:

Post a Comment