Sunday, January 25, 2009

Diagnose Cable Box Problems, pt 2

January 30, 2008
Cox cable box upgrades causes few problems
An overnight upgrade of digital cable boxes caused few problems in Hampton Roads, said a Cox Communications spokeswoman.
*****
http://www.topix.com/forum/com/cox/T4BFMHNRIV31BJ5TB
*****
I had no service this morning in Williamsburg and called to report. After struggling to get past the malfunctioning "automated system" I was told the outage was a result of the upgrade. The rep said she'd try to send a new signal and if that didn't work, she'd need to schedule an appt. for a home visit. It didn't work. She scheduled the first available appt. which I was told was Sat. between 10 and 12. When I expressed my disbelief at how long I would be without TV service at all, she said she'd heard from many people since the outage had occurred all over Williamsburg and that's the first she could offer.
So was I on of the "few problems" due to the upgrade?
*****
I could not survive that long without tv. I would have to check into a motel or something.
******
lol, this is why i left cox. My internet went down AGAIN on a sunday evening and even though I told them it was probably the problem with the box outside AGAIN and to send someone out. They insisted on doing a home visit on Thursday so they could come inside and check. Said they did not want to make 2 trips out to my house. Sooooo I asked them if they would prefer to make 2 trips or lose my $150/month. Guess what? they came out next day and fixed the problem which was outside.

As soon as verizons FIOS became available in my area I canceled cox. Their internet and cable is far superior!
*****
Everytime I have had to deal with Cox they were never able to come out and fix the cable until 2-3 days sometimes a week later. Very Frustrating! That is why I never signed up for their phone or internet service. I can't wait for FIOS to get connected in Hampton! I will celebrate when I am able to switch!
*****
It is wonderful! You will love it! With cox I was continuously kicked off the internet and had to reset my router several times a day. I have had FIOS for a month now and have not had to reset it once. The channels are great :) and very easy to scan through with lots of selections even without movie channels.
*****
I have heard more people complaining about Cox and about having trouble with their tv and internet. I have been a subscriber for years to the tv and internet and I haven't had any issues. I never get kicked off the internet and my tv is never out. My friend has a problem with her cable, she is constantly calling them out for it, but I never have any trouble. I'm in Hampton and not Newport News, maybe there is some difference there. Who knows?
*****
I've had Cox internet and TV for years. Mine has never gone out and I've never had to call for service. Perhaps your problems are caused by "operator error".
*****
My next door neighbor decided that he would subscribe to Cox cable. The Cable tech comes out, disconnects my cable... uses my cable connection to connect the next door neighbor. I come home on a Sunday evening from a weekend away. Cut the TV on to watch the basketball game.... No service. Call Cox. The earliest they can get there.... 4 days later.... ended up going to radio shack buying a splitter and hooked it up myself. Finally Cox did come out and fix the connections. Thankfully now my neighbor has his own connection.
****
my cable box flashed error code 94 what does it mean please reply
*****
Cox Internet/Phone combined modems just plain suck!

I've had their Cable/Phone/Internet for the past year.

First I had some no name Internet/phone modem.

The phone/Internet would just stop working - call Cox, they would bounce the signal, sometimes it worked, other times they would give me the excuse that someone could come out, "In a couple of days".

I would tell them, that's fine, I'll just do the old, "Battery pull" on the modem and reset it myself! Had to do that about 3-5 times every month!

Finally, after going away for vacation and coming back again to no Internet/phone, I called them and told them to bring another modem out (this would be the third!!!). They brought out a Motorola and the tech stated the other brand sucked and Cox was switching over to Motorola Phone/Internet modems due to the problems with my brand.(Oh, everytime a tech came out, they always hooked up meters and stated the signal were fine)

After two days with the new modem, I'm on the Internet and the phone rings! Now, No Internet and the phone goes dead!

I called Cox and told them to get back out and bring me another modem!

They send some contracted tech who has no clue about my account - just told to go to my address and reset modem.(he tells me it's because my splitters almost a year old and that's how long they are good for!!!- figured this guy for a dingbat right away) BTW, my modem line has always been on a non-split wire marked MTA.

After two more days, the Internet does not work again! Call Cox again!(Side note - I love how after calling Cox, they ask me if they have permission to access my account!- that it is some federal law or something - proves how dumb you have to be to work at Cox!)

Finally, some other tech comes out and says, why didn't anyone just switch you back to a telephone box on the side of the house and a separate modem for the Internet. So, he puts the telephone box on the side of the house and a separate Webstar/Scientific Modem for the Internet - 3 weeks later and not one problem! Except, the tech never told me that I now had to purchase the modem for $40 as the modem is free if you have the crappy Internet/phone modem.

So, I'll be buying a modem off Ebay for $10 and send back their $40 modem.

Verizon!!! Where are you??? My neighborhood needs FIOS!!!!!!!!!!
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment