Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Humidifier Story

I bought a couple of Hunter Fan humidifiers nearly 5 years ago. I lost the receipt somewhere and the company hasn't told me when I actually purchased these items. I have RMA'ed each humidifier for replacement twice, most recently last fall. Well, the company first told me to send back the model label (that contained the serial number) from the unit itself plus the snipped AC cord from the first unit returned last October; they said "We don't need you to ship the item back."...or words to that effect. I was sent a replacement, then my other humidifier died (these humidifiers have 3 gallons of water tanks with a night light and humidistat). So I innocently threw away both busted humidifiers and saved the label and cord from the latest casualty for return. So I call the company, they send a replacement but they changed the rules and said I had to mail in the old humidifier (the one I just threw away instead of just the label and cord). I haven't mailed them anything since the operator hung up on me with the demand of the whole humidifier and a letter soon followed. They took a few weeks to find the label & cord that I mailed in before they could send out the next humidifier, so I figured they wouldn't miss me if I never mailed in anything.

Well, tonight I get home and one of my new humidifiers is making awful noises and the fan is just about dying. So I clean both humidifiers, but the fan on one of them is still failing. These humidifiers used to be $50 nearly 5 years ago, but the warranty expires after 5 years of buying the original, so I don't know if I'll be eligible to get another replacement because of the TIME factor. The retail price of the replacement they're selling is over $100. The last replacement just lasted me 90 days or so. So, I've gotta call the company and have them tell me that I have to send in the old humidifier which I never sent in because I threw it out prematurely before they will consider my request for another replacement, and, oh BTW, if I don't send in the old one they may charge me full price for them sending me a replacement. So I guess I could send in that $100+, then ask for a replacement of the one that just busted that was the replacement of the one I'm paying for. OR, I could get unlucky and they'll say pay $100 for the one I didn't send in plus $100 for a new one. OR, I could get lucky and they'll rescind the submission of the old humidifier pending receipt of the label & cord, then they'll entertain replacing my busted humidifier (or charge me for a new one anyway).

My options appear to be:
A) pay nothing
B) pay $100+
C) pay $200+
I've already bought enough filters to last another 5 years, too bad the stupid fan seems to last 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment